Monday, January 7, 2013

Not yo momma's Mac & Cheese

Last week I went to the grocery store without a list (GASP! I know - I broke my cardinal rule and I was hungry, so really I broke two).

While perusing through the store, I mostly stayed outside of the aisles to stick with the healthy stuff. I had already decided I wanted stir fry, so I picked up: 1 onion, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 1 bunch of kale, mushrooms, and celery.

My cart was so healthful and delicious, until I got too close to Aisle 5 - that's when the $.79 Mac & Cheese lured me in, and I had to pick up a box of the shells.

Once I got home, an idea sparked - why not stir fry all those veggies, then add them to Mac & Cheese so I can pretend like Mac & Cheese is healthy too?? Pure. Genius.

Soon I had the veggies frying, the pasta boilin', and time on my hands while I waited for it all to cook.. So I decided to get a little crazier.

Instead of butter & milk for the mac, why not substitute greek yogurt for those and goat cheese for 1/2 the fake cheese?

What's that? Crazy, you say? Well of course!! They don't call me Chamanda for nothin'.

All in all, a delicious meal. Next time, I'd like to add sunburst tomatoes to the mix. These orange nuggets pair so well with goat cheese you won't know what hit you!

Recipe:
Mac:
1 box 3 cheese shells
3/4 cup Greek Yogurt
Veggies:
(all chopped)
1/2 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
2 stalks celery
1/2 container mushrooms
1/2 onion
2 cups chopped kale


No comments:

Post a Comment