Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Elimination Diet: Week One

Recently, I have been plagued with internal issues like no other. With about two months of feeling sick on an already restricted diet (no dairy, minimal gluten), the mysterious post dinner attacks had to stop. So, I perused Google for ideas to identify and eliminate the culprits. I want to page numero uno in the search engine: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/elimination-diet.

Like every good citizen, I decided I'd start this diet as a New Year's resolution. However, in one big glorious goodbye to 2014 I had ordered pizzas for my friends and I. They fell asleep, so Cameron and I were left with 2 pizzas - one cheeseless (for me) and one with double cheese & meat. Of course I couldn't let some of the leftovers to go to waste and since my dear was taking his time getting out of bed the hunger took over and I had a slice.

That day we made our way to the farmer's market and my shopping list went something like this:
      1 lb ground turkey
      1 large grouper filet
      2 lamb steaks
      3 apples
      4 bananas
      1 package strawberries
      1 large butternut squash
      1 sweet potato
      1 package of celery
      1 bunch bok choy
      1 bunch spinach
      1 head of living lettuce
      1 package wild rice - 16 oz
      1 cucumber
       1 lb carrots
      1 zucchini
      2 packages of mushrooms
      2 onions
      1 red pepper ( a cheat )
      4 small cans coconut milk
      1 package vegetable stock
      1 package frozen peaches
      1 package frozen blueberries
      1 carton unsweetened  almond milk
      1 red bell pepper ( a cheat)
      1 package dried fruit
      1 package dried garlic plantains
      1 jar almond butter ( cheat)
      2 avocados

With this I made the following recipes:
Entrees:  
Turkey (3/4 lb), mushrooms, wild rice, and sweet potato
Turkey lettuce wraps
Grouper with Spinach, strawberry, avocado salad
Grilled lamb steaks
Breakfast smoothie - any combination of  apples, peaches, blueberries, avocado, squash soup, almond or coconut milk
Sides:
Vegan butternut squash soup (coconut milk, vegetable stock, 1/2 apple, 1 onion) good hot or cold
Carrots, mushrooms, and rice
Mushrooms & rice
Asian carrot cucumber salad ( a cheat for the dressing - used vinegar)
Vegetable stir fry (onion, bok choy, mushrooms, red pepper, carrot, ginger)
Snacks:
Celery and almond butter
Apples and almond butter
Dried Fruit
Dried Plantains
Bananas
Apples
 
I am an avid coffee drinker, so when I saw both coffee & caffeinated tea were off the list I was worried. Since I started this during my time off ( or a weekend would do), being sleepy the first couple of days was no issues - I had time to take a nap. Now, with days 3 & 4 being at work, I have had more energy than I am used to, little to no GI issues, and feel light. There's something about eating light, clean, healthy foods that reflects outwardly. You really are what you eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment