Monday, November 26, 2012

When in doubt, experiment!

A few weeks ago I bought a bag of lentils. My roommate loves them, so I thought I should have some on stock.

Searching around the internet, I finally found a recipe that caught my eye - Lentil Burgers!

But woe is me, hungry on a Monday night I could not drag myself back to the store to get the carrots that these burgers call for. 

So instead, I improvised - and spicy chili bean burgers were born!

1 can chili beans with jalepenos
1 can butter beans
1/2 orange pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 medium yellow onion
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 egg
3/4 cup oats
1/4 cup wheat flower
1/4 cup of Stubb's BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Rinse and drain beans. In a medium bowl combine beans, vegetables, seasoning, and egg. With an emersion blender, blend ingredients until slightly smooth, but still chunky. 

Stir in oats and wheat flower until mixture. If mixture is not thick, add additional flour.  Add in barbecue sauce.

Heat oil in skillet on medium high. When a water droplet immediately steams, add in 1/4-1/2 cup of bean mixture. Use spatula to pat into a patty shape. Cook 3-4 minutes on either side. 

Whats your favorite imrpov recipe?



No comments:

Post a Comment